The 3-Day camp is an experience like no other. Imagine a slumber party with hundreds of your favorite people, complete with dance party, delicious food, games and shopping…all under the stars. It’s a fun time to say the least! Our walkers in Seattle, Dallas/Fort Worth and San Diego will get to experience that magic first-hand this year. If you’re a first-time camper, Coach Gayla is here to get you excited for that experience. There is so much to love about the 3-Day camp, and she’s breaking it all down for you…
- First and foremost, tent camping gives you the extra excuse to ask for a large donation as you are fundraising! You’re giving up your comfy bed for two nights. A big commitment deserves a big donation. Just remind potential donors that you’ll be showering in a semi-truck, and that should motivate them to support your goals 😉
- The camp environment gives you a chance to do something different than what we do at home every day. I mean, other than the 3-Day, when was the last time you went camping?!
- At camp, you’ll have access to the dining hall, camp lounge, massages and Remembrance Tent, all within a short distance of your tent. It also makes it easy to be right on hand at the finish line to cheer other walkers in! I love this part, and it’s something my pals from Team STEPS (Hi Dana and Sheryl!) brought up when I talked with them about this, too.
- You can easily meet new friends as you wander around camp. Sheryl and Dana summed it up perfectly, saying, “Even a trip to the port-o-potty or shower will often provide a smiling face on the way, a high five with a 3-Day legend, an opportunity to thank a volunteer, or a special random act of kindness.” We love making those connections!
- Picture yourself sitting in the entry of your tent at the end of the day reading your camp mail, rehydrating, and waving and smiling as people come in from the walk route. There’s nothing like that feeling of accomplishment!
- The joy and inspiration of the 3-Day is heightened by having just the sounds of nature and your 3-Day family around you. No sounds of TV, or doors creating barriers between you and all the fun!
- In general, camaraderie is at an all-time high when hanging out with your friends in and around your tents. You can even personally check in on all your tentmates before you turn in for the night…just by giving them a holler!
- Then, as the night goes on, and you’re all cozy in your sleeping bag, you really will appreciate the great outdoors where you can see the stars at night and breathe in the fresh air. You become one with nature.
- It really helps you escape the daily grind of life and decompress – no phones, tv, radio. It will do your mind some good! As Sheryl and Dana said, “you get to unplug and be perfectly present in the moment.” It will give you time and space to truly appreciate the 3-Day in a whole new way.
- And then, sitting in your tent as the sun comes up and a new day begins…it’s just so exciting and inspiring. Plus, Sheryl and Dana reminded me about “waking up to the smell of coffee and bacon,” which is never a bad thing.
Bonus! Remember, it’s GLAMPING, not really CAMPING after all 😉
What else do you love about the 3-Day camp experience? Tell us in the comments!