Anyone who steps up to the challenge of participating in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day® is making an incredible commitment. The months spent on fundraising strategy and execution, training plans and schedules, prepping, packing and traveling almost make it feel like the Komen 3-Day is your second job (good thing it’s a job you love!).
That’s why it’s especially remarkable when we meet a walker who makes the extraordinary decision to walk in every 3-Day® event in one year. In the past, there have been one or two walkers each year who dedicate themselves to walking the “full series,” but in 2014, we are honored to have eight amazing people taking on the full series and walking in all seven 3-Day events.
- What’s your name and where are you from? – Ashley Hutto. I’m originally from the Canton, Ohio area, but now live in Phoenix, AZ.
- What is your 3-Day history (How many events have you walked/crewed?) – I started in 2009 and have walked 5 consecutive years (1 in Arizona, 3 in San Diego and 1 in San Francisco).
- How/why did you first get involved with the 3-Day? – My mom passed away in 2002 and my sister, Nicole [Lieberman, also a 2014 series walker], got involved in the 3-Day the following year while I was still in my undergrad. At first, I wasn’t interested, but after I moved to Phoenix in 2009, I finally agreed to try it and the rest is history!
- Are you part of any teams in 2014? – I’m co-captain of Team Pedi-Cure with my sister.
- What made you decide to do all 7 events this year? – Team Pedi-Cure aims high! In addition to completing all the 3-Day events in a single year, we will also exceed $100,000 in total fundraising dollars!
- What are your go-to fundraising strategies? – We’ve tried a lot of different things, but we’ve found our niche in selling products on Amazon.
- What are you looking forward to most with your walks this year? – I’m looking forward to new routes and meeting some new friends!
- Is there anything you are nervous about? – It’s difficult to train in the summer in Phoenix because of the heat… so needless to say we haven’t done much of it. I guess the Michigan 3-Day will be our training!
- What are 3 words that you would use to describe the 3-Day? – Inspiring, energizing, healing
- What’s your name and where are you from? – Nicole Lieberman. I’m originally from northeast Ohio, but have lived in Phoenix, Arizona for 12 years.
- What is your 3-Day history? (How many events have you walked/crewed) – I have walked one event per year since 2003 (10 events). Events include Arizona, Cleveland, Tampa, San Diego and San Francisco.
- How/why did you first get involved with the 3-Day? – I lost my mother to cancer in November 2002. In February 2003, I heard a radio commercial for the 3-Day and knew I needed to be a part of this event. I convinced my husband, Adam, to walk with me in Arizona’s inaugural walk, and have been hooked ever since!
- Are you part of any teams in 2014? – I have been the Captain of Team Pedi-Cure since 2004. I have been lucky enough to walk alongside my sister Ashley [Hutto, also a full series walker in 2014] since 2009 and our Dad walked with us in San Diego in 2010.
- What made you decide to do all 7 events this year? – The stars are in alignment! After several years of hard work, I have a decent amount of funds saved and my husband got a job with a company that has a very generous matching gifts program.
- What are your go-to fundraising strategies? – I have amazing family and friends who have generously supported me year after year. To supplement our fundraising, my sister Ashley and I started a side business in 2011 selling products on Amazon.
- What are you looking forward to most with your walks this year? – I am looking forward to seeing the unique qualities of the 3-Day in each city.
- Is there anything you are nervous about? – Humidity! One of the advantages of living in the desert for the past 12 years has been the dry heat. This is one element I haven’t trained for.
- What are 3 words that you would use to describe the 3-Day? – Family, healing, addictive
No matter which 3-Day event you are participating in this year, keep an eye out for our eight series walkers, and then introduce yourself to them!