Anyone who steps up to the challenge of participating in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day® is making an incredible commitment. The months spent on fundraising strategy and execution, training plans and schedules, prepping, packing and traveling almost make it feel like the Komen 3-Day is your second job (good thing it’s a job you love!).
That’s why it’s especially remarkable when we meet a walker who makes the extraordinary decision to walk in every 3-Day® event in one year. In the past, there have been one or two walkers each year who dedicate themselves to walking the “full series,” but in 2014, we are honored to have eight amazing people taking on the full series and walking in all seven 3-Day events.
- What’s your name and where are you from? – My name is: Stephanie Kohatsu (stephiek) and I live in Escondido CA (just outside of San Diego).
- What is your 3-Day history (how many events have you walked/crewed)? – To date, I have walked 16 events (11 in San Diego) and in SF, DC, Seattle, Philly and Boston and crewed 9 events.
- How/why did you first get involved with the 3-Day? – I had always wanted to do the 3-Day as friends were being diagnosed (and my sister-in-law was diagnosed in 1998), but got the courage to take the first step in 2003 and have been forever changed by this event and the people who I have met throughout this journey.
- Are you part of any teams in 2014? – Not really….I just walk, talk and meet people along the way!
- What made you decide to do all 7 events this year? – Always wanted to do the ‘cycle’ as I met both Jim (Hillman) and Glen DeKeyser who have both done all 14 in one year, and with the elimination of 7 in 2014, this became manageable as I am using my vacation time to do all of the walks.
- What are your go-to fundraising strategies? – ASK! Also have been selling my caramels that have become pretty famous on the 3-Day circuit!
- What are you looking forward to the most with your walks this year? – To re-unite with my fellow walkers, crew and staff.
- Is there anything that you’re nervous about? – Missing the plane to the event cities!
- What 3 words would you use to describe the 3-Day? – Best journey EVER!
Karen Kay R.
- What’s your name and where are you from? – Karen Kay Rush. Born in South Carolina, Air Force brat, spent all my adult life in Phoenix, Arizona.
- What is your 3-Day history (how many events have you walked/crewed)? – 2014 Michigan will be my 32nd walk. I have not crewed yet but maybe one day!
- How/why did you first get involved with the 3-Day? – When the 3-Day first came to Arizona in 2004, two of my friends and I decided to join in the experience. I have been hooked ever since!
- Are you part of any teams in 2014? – My “team” consists of me and my Arizona walking buddy Samantha DeZonia, but even when I walk alone I call myself Lump Busters, which is a name my daughter came up with in 2004 (a take-off of Ghost Busters).
- What made you decide to do all 7 events this year? – I had planned on working my way up to walking the entire 3-Day Series, so back in 2008 I added a city each year and I have been adding ever since. I walked 7 last year too!
- What are your go-to fundraising strategies? – I primarily rely on my golf tournament (x 6 years now) for most of Sam’s and my fundraising. In addition, I volunteer my time for all of our state’s hockey and football games, as well as some spring training games and concerts. Once a year, a local race track donates $1 for every ticket sold (and they have been doing that for 8 years now).
- What are you looking forward to the most with your walks this year? – Meeting new people and hearing their stories and enjoying the sights!
- Is there anything that you’re nervous about? – No.
- What 3 words would you use to describe the 3-Day? – Inspirational, fun, motivational
Tomorrow, we’ll share introductions to the final two full series walkers! Don’t miss it!