May is National Photography Month, and we know the 3-Day is the picture perfect spot to take photos with your friends, family and favorite 3-Day people. We asked our social media community to send us their favorite photos from the 3-Day, and you all delivered! Seeing your smiling faces, bold steps and teamwork in the fight against breast cancer is an inspiring way to celebrate this month in photos. And it has us more excited than ever for our 2019 3-Days! Add your photos in the comments of this blog to show why you Commit 3 Days and go further than anyone else can in the fight against breast cancer. Happy snapping 3-Dayers! 📷
The reasons to join the 3-Day are endless. Truly! Everyone gains something different on this amazing journey, and everyone comes back year after year for their own reasons. If you need a bit more motivation to join our 3-Day family in 2019, we have a few all-encompassing reasons to #Commit3Days and join the 3-Day NOW!
(Hint: Make sure to read to the end for a special discount code 😊)
- Meeting new people: One of the best parts of the 3-Day is the “Pink Bubble” made up of every member of our 3-Day family. Even if you’re walking on your own, you will finish the weekend with scores of new friends.
- Outdoor camp: Glamping in pink tents. Sleeping under the stars. Being super close to to all your teammates. There is also so much to love about our outdoor camps in Seattle, Dallas/Fort Worth and San Diego! There’s really no wrong choice (except not joining at all).
- Hotel camp: Air conditioning. Charging plugs galore. Real beds and pillows and showers. There is so much to love about our new hotel camps in Michigan, Twin Cities, New England and Philadelphia! (New England 3-Day registration is closed, but you can still register as a 20-Mile walker!)
- Seeing all the sights: 60 miles is quite the distance. So, even if you’re walking in your own home city, chances are you’ll get to see some new and unique parts of your hometown on the 3-Day weekend.
- Tons of treats: You will be active and moving all 3-Day weekend-long, which makes it very important that we keep you hydrated and fueled. Pit stops, water stations, lunches and dinners are all full of delicious bites like Grahamwiches and the famous 3-Day Mac n’ Cheese.
- The 3-Day coaches: We must give a shout out to the people who make it happen. Your 3-Day coaches are here to encourage, advise, support and be there for you every step of your 3-Day journey. From the moment you sign up until you cross that finish line, they will be your champions.
- An excuse for shopping: You’re going to need some new gear to display on all those training walks, and especially on the 3-Day weekend! People go all out with their 3-Day outfits, rocking everything from feathered wings to our very own 3-Day T-Rex. You better start shopping now!
- Get moving: Many people have the goal to get more steps in, move more in their everyday lives or get in better shape. While we have walkers of all shapes, sizes, and ages, you can use the 3-Day to help fuel your next fitness goal.
- Finding new tunes: While you’re out moving and grooving away, you’re going to need some music to fuel your journey. The 3-Day has its own Spotify account to get you started on musical inspiration, but you can also make your own! You’ll be surprised how much good music will improve your mood. Just remember to keep it safe and don’t wear earphones on the 3-Day or our official training walks.
- Getting some quality time: If music isn’t your jam, don’t worry. The 3-Day is also a great chance to get quality time with the friends and family who are walking with you…or with yourself. Make sure to take some time on your walk to reflect. Check in with yourself and acknowledge what an amazing thing you’re doing.
- Testing your limits: It’s important to remember the whole journey, not just the final destination. This walk will test you emotionally and physically, but also give you such a feeling of accomplishment at the end.
- It’s tutu-friendly: And not just tutus! We also love wigs and bedazzled bras and team t-shirts and more! You will be smiling all weekend long thanks to all of the extra special flair. 😊
- For the gram: It seems that more and more people are doing things “for the gram” these days, and while getting a good photo shouldn’t be your sole motivation for joining the 3-Day, we can promise some epic photos for your social media feeds.
- To spice up your Bucket List: If the 3-Day isn’t on your bucket list yet, it should be! Not many people can say they’ve walked 60 miles in one weekend, after all.
- Re-connecting with nature: The 3-Day route will take you through all sorts of cool sights, including some amazing parks, trails and watersides. Don’t miss them! Our host cities are all unique and wonderful in their own special ways, so take in everything they have to offer.
- That feeling of accomplishment: There truly is no feeling like crossing that 60-mile finish line and knowing that your commitment has made a HUGE impact in the fight to end breast cancer. You have trained, fundraised, volunteered time and energy, and it all comes to a peak in that moment. There is nothing like it.
- Be inspired: As we said before, there is nothing like this experience. Hearing from our breast cancer survivor speakers, meeting those who have lost loved ones or been saved by Susan G. Komen-funded research; all these experiences will leave you feeling motivated and inspired.
- Make a difference: Since its founding in 1982, Susan G. Komen has funded more than $988M in research and more than $2.2 billion in education, screening and treatment. The net proceeds raised by the 3‑Day help Susan G. Komen build a world free of breast cancer through research, community, care and action.
- Join the family: Being a part of the 3-Day makes you a part of our family, and an integral part of the fight against breast cancer. You will become part of something that is larger than yourself and make a true difference in the world around you.
- You can do this! More than 500,000 participants have supported the breast cancer community, including those living with metastatic breast cancer, since the 3-Day began. You can be a part of all that! Yes, walking 60 miles is hard, but it’s not as hard as breast cancer. Come walk with us. You can do it.
Now that spring is here, everyone is itching to get outside and into the sun. And this weekend is the perfect motivation to get you moving! Get out and get your steps in, but instead of walking on a track or at the gym, we want to see you all heading to the park to walk in the sun. Here are some fun ways to get your steps in…
Explore a new park
This is an easy one! Training can become monotonous if you’re always walking in the same park or area, so pick someplace new this weekend! Do some searching, and even take a bit of a drive if you need to, to find a picturesque and unique place to get moving. Websites like AllTrails.com, TrailLink.com and MapMyWalk.com can help you find a new park or trail in your area.
Do a lightning round
If you live in an area with lots of parks or hiking trails, hit as many as you can in one day! Walk 1-2 miles (or even less if you like) in each location, and then move on to the next fun spot. This is a great way to get in a lot of miles with nice built-in breaks. For first-time walkers or those who haven’t done a ton of training yet, kick your spring walks off with this idea!
Go for a hike
This is not the same thing as a walk! Find an area with more of an incline, be it a national park or a mountain (depending on where you live) and lace up those hiking boots. This will be a different type of training, and indeed a different type of park experience. That will help add some variety to your training schedule and prepare you for any hills you might hit on the 3-Day course!
Make it a nature walk
Collect cool flowers, leaves and other elements of nature as you walk. Make sure this is allowed by the park first, as some places do not allow you to remove the nature. However, if it is permitted, it’s a great activity to have on your mind as you walk and will really make you appreciate your natural surroundings. Then, use those petals and leaves for a later team building event and make fun art or pressed flowers that will always remind you of your 3-Day team. 😊
Plan a picnic at the end
This will take some coordination but work with your family or friends to have someone meet you at the end of your 3-Day training walk with a picnic reward! Have as many pink items (think strawberries, pink lemonade, cookies and more!) as you can in the picnic and celebrate a walk well stepped.
If you need some more inspiration for your weekend walks, here are some other blog posts to check out:
- 5 Easy Ways to Get Outside this Spring
- Planning the Perfect 3-Day Training Walk
- Tips for 3-Day First Timers from 3-Day Past Participants
- Top 3-Day Training Songs, According to YOU!
- 3-Day Guest Post – A Mother’s Day Training Walk (Get ready for the upcoming holiday!)
Are you going on a training walk this weekend? Tell us how you’re getting outside this spring!
For tips about healthy living, click here for advice and support to keep you on track for the 3-Day and beyond. http://the3day.co/amgen2019. Thanks to the support of Amgen and in partnership with American Bone Health, the Healthy Living series was designed to prepare your mind, body and bones for the 3-Day.