Before last year’s Susan G. Komen 3-Day® series, we introduced the local coaches from each Komen 3-Day. These are the staff members who support the walkers and crew members all year round, answering phone calls and emails, hosting community events, assigning crew captains and juggling dozens of other tasks to make sure that the 3-Day® participants make it to their events excited and well prepared.
Since we gave you the coaches’ full profiles last year, we’ll delight you with just a fun update before each event this year. This week, we catch up with the Atlanta 3-Day coaches (you can read last year’s “Meet the Atlanta Coaches” here)!
What was your favorite memory from the 2014 Atlanta 3-Day?
Susan (Atlanta Participant Coach) – It’s really hard to pick just one, but this stands out: I registered a gentleman early in the year last year who called in. He and I spoke forever, and I was so excited to meet him in person at one of our Training Kick-Off Events. He was walking for his wife who passed away from breast cancer. I caught him before Opening Ceremony, and told him how happy I was to see him, and how glad I was that he called me. He told me then that making that call was the hardest thing he had ever done. It was so great to see his journey right from the start, and to know the kind of impact it had on him.
Tara (Atlanta Local Events Coach) – I loved seeing so many of the walkers I had been working with all season make it across that finish line, with a hobble to their step and a smile on their face, telling me that it was indeed the most amazing weekend, like I said it would be!
Libby (Atlanta Crew & Volunteer Coordinator) – My favorite memory was watching the crew members cheer for the walkers as they entered camp. Camping indoors can be tricky, and the crew always goes out of their way to make the walkers feel special.
Fun facts about the Atlanta 3-Day Coaches – Can you guess which fun fact is true about which coach? (There are 3 facts about each coach; answers will be at the end of the Dallas/Fort Worth 3-Day coaches’ check-in later in October!)
- There is nothing I love more than being at the beach.
- I frequent Target AT LEAST once a week. I find it calming to just browse the aisles and of course the end caps to see the clearance items.
- After a trip to wine country in Napa last year, I very much want to learn how to become a winemaker.
- I love roller coasters but have a huge fear of falling…figure that one out!
- If I didn’t have my current awesome job I have always wanted to be a radio DJ.
- I am a new mom and I am experiencing how quickly your wants and needs change once you have a child. Baby clothes are just so much cuter to shop for!
- I’m currently in love with all things almond. Almond butter, almond milk, chocolate covered- you name it.
- I crave change and adventure and love all of the amazing places my job has taken me and the fabulous people I have met along the way.
- I love shopping. And I’m pretty sure that I was the original workout wear queen. You can’t have too many sneakers!
Looking for the answers from the Philadelphia Coaches’ Fun Facts post? Here they are!
1) Melanie; 2) Joanne; 3) Jen; 4) Joanne; 5) Jen; 6) Melanie; 7) Jen; 8) Melanie; 9) Joanne