All of us here at the Susan G. Komen 3-Day® work hard to create a safe yet memorable experience for our participants, from the time you register until after you take your victory walk into the Closing Ceremony. Putting on an event for thousands of participants takes a lot of preparation, and the Komen 3-Day keeps environmental consciousness strongly in mind, not just on Earth Day, but every day when planning and executing its events.
Here are some things the 3-Day® does to stay green:
Before the Event
- A few years ago, we began posting the 3-Day walker and crew handbooks online to save paper. Only walkers who are completely new to the 3-Day get a mailed set. Today, except for a single welcome envelope sent when you register, all of your 3-Day resources are provided electronically.
- This year, we stopped mailing out printed informational brochures, and instead provide details about the 3-Day in emails and on our website.
On the Event
- Event staff, crew and volunteers are meticulous about trash pick-up at all event locations (our expectation is to leave our event locations cleaner than we found them).
- Many of our event materials, such as route signs, are reused from year to year.
- We have separate receptacles for trash and recycled materials at all route stops and in camp, and most camp locations also have bins for composting.
- Participants bring their own water bottles to the event, which allows us to use gallon jugs of water rather than thousands of single plastic bottles.
- We mix sports drink in 5 gallon jugs for participants to fill their water bottles as well, which also cuts out single-bottle waste.
- The event staff and volunteers use GPS units for the event vehicles, which cuts back on waste from printed maps.
After the Event
- After the Closing Ceremony, participants can donate their used shoes, which we then send to recycling centers.
- All of our leftover water and snacks from the events are donated to local charity organizations.
- All of the tarps, air mattresses, sleeping bags, etc. that discarded by participants after the event are donated to local charity organizations as well.
3-Day participants make the world a better place by raising money and walking, and we’re happy to do our small part to leave that world a better place too. What do you do to stay green on your 3-Day journey?