As the 2015 Susan G. Komen 3-Day® Series draws closer, I hope each of you have been following the suggested training schedule to get you ready for what will be one of the most memorable and enjoyable experiences of your life. During my long training walks, I carry all of my essentials that I will use during my 60-mile journey. These are my absolute must haves:
- Reusable water bottle so that I can hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
- Sunscreen so that I don’t finish the day the same color as my bright pink shirt.
- Vaseline® or BodyGlide® to avoid those nasty blisters.
- 2 pairs of broken in walking or running shoes and an extra pair of socks.
- Kleenex tissues for my nose during those brisk cool mornings and because, well, I’m a cry baby.
- Ibuprofen (400 mg every 8 hours as needed) because baby, at the end of 20 miles this nearly 50 year-old body hurts!
While you’re pulling together your “must haves” list keep in mind that the 3-Day can be a time to relax, slow down, take in nature’s beauty, socialize with friends and generally just enjoy being alive. Enjoy the peace of blocking out the world during those moments when you walk alone. Lastly, seize the opportunity to enjoy feeling your body in motion, observe your environment, and to see that the world is much more than the details of your life.