Today is Make a Friend Day, and we here at the Susan G. Komen 3-Day® know a thing or two about this particular skill. The Komen 3-Day has been bringing together family and friends, old and new, for years, and we’re not done yet! The 2015 3-Day® season is underway, and we thought it would be the friendly thing to do to share some ways that you can look forward to making friends during your 3-Day journey.
- Ask people to walk with you. (Okay, so technically, those people are probably already your friends, but think of how much closer you’ll be after you walk 60 miles together!)
- Go to a 3-Day community event! If you live in or near one of our 3-Day locations, you can attend a Get Started Meeting, Walk & Talk or any of the dozens of meet-ups taking place over the next few months. RSVP at The3Day.org/Calendar.
- Follow the 3-Day on social media. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest are all terrific virtual “places” to meet your fellow walkers and crew members. More and more, we hear stories of people who became acquainted on social media, then meet in person for the first time when they get to the 3-Day. How wonderful that we live in a world where that’s possible!
- Attend a training walk. The 3-Day training walk calendar won’t start filling up for another month, after we finish recruiting and training our volunteer training walk leaders, but the coming spring will bring loads of options. So bookmark The3Day.org/trainingwalks and check it often. No training walks scheduled in your area? Think about leading one yourself and watch the friends come to you!
- Wear your 3-Day gear. If you have a victory t-shirt from a past 3-Day, wear it out in public. Your fellow 3-Dayers around town will spot you and say hello, and those who are not involved with the 3-Day may ask you questions to find out what it’s all about. Don’t have a victory shirt? You can buy a variety of 3-Day shirts and other apparel at ShopKomen.com.
- Use the 3-Day Friend Finder. Registered participants can log in at The3Day.org/Friend and use this nifty tool for finding fellow walkers and crew members who live nearby.
- Call the coaches. There’s no one friendlier! The coaches love to hear from you, even if you don’t have a specific question and just want to say hello, so give them a jingle! 800-996-3DAY.
- Talk to strangers. Actually, we like to say that there ARE no strangers on the 3-Day, just friends you haven’t met yet. So when your 3-Day event rolls around, take the time to chat up the soon-to-be-friends you walk or crew alongside. Hear their stories and tell them yours.
- There’s that one person you know, but right now, she’s just an acquaintance. She works in your building, or goes to your gym, or she’s got kids in the same school as your kids. But you know, through the grapevine, that she lost her mom to breast cancer. Go talk to her. Ask her how she’s doing. Tell her you’re walking. Maybe she’ll want to walk with you.