The Dallas/Fort Worth 3-Day is tomorrow…can you believe it?! We are so excited to head to the Lone Star State, home of Susan G. Komen, for an amazing three days.
But no one is more excited than your Dallas/Fort Worth 3-Day team! Your coaches Gayla and Liz, plus your amazing Crew Coordinator Gina and Event Planner Eileen have all been counting down the days to this weekend for a whole year.
Before we officially kick off the weekend, they are here to share their top tips and advice, toot each other’s horns, and get you pumped for your 60-mile journey.
That journey includes a lot of new sights and spots to take advantage of this year! There are some not-to-miss route changes that Eileen and the whole team are looking forward to. Here are some of their favorite spots:
- Our new Opening Ceremony site, Tostitos Championship Plaza at The Star!
- Specifically, the “Huddle” statue at The Star where we begin our journey (above). It’s made from aluminum pans!
- The bronze cattle statues at Frisco Central Park
- Walking through Dr Pepper Ball Park
- Vitruvian Park Cheering Station just before camp
- Arbor Hills Nature Preserve in Plano
- All the local cheering stations! There are lots to look forward to this year 😊
The coaches are also looking forward to welcoming all the participants to Texas. This is especially true for Coach Gina, a new (and very welcome) addition to the Dallas/Fort Worth 3-Day team.
“I can’t wait to meet and connect with the crew, Crew Captains and volunteers. I have gotten to know them virtually the past several months and I’m honored to work alongside these incredible people,” Gina smiles. “The energy of this whole weekend strengthens my spirit in the fight against breast cancer. The walkers have trained and fundraised, the crew and volunteers, especially Crew Captains, have put in their own preparations and the staff has been preparing for months to ensure a wonderful 3-Day experience. We can’t wait to see you all!”
All your coaches are long-time 3-Day supporters, walkers, volunteers and more. Their More Than Pink love runs deep!
Coach Liz says, “The 3-Day is one of the most powerful and passionate communities I’ve ever been connected to. The participants become friends and more like family due to the time spent together on training walks and sharing the passion for finding a cure. The way everyone takes care of each other is so incredibly special, I honestly don’t know of any other community like this.”
Coach Gayla echoes that with her usual enthusiasm!
“We are all so passionate about the 3-Day and our participants, we hope it shows. It’s amazing that we GET to do this all year long and can’t imagine doing anything else. Another reason is that the Dallas/Fort Worth 3-Day is my home and I am a proud Texan ready to show it off to everyone!”
Want to make the most of this Texas 3-Day weekend? Take advice right from the team! They advise you all to:
- Savor the moments, every step, each interaction, because as the saying goes, “It’s the little moments that make life big.”
- Take lots of selfies!
- Save contacts. Become Facebook friends. Keep in touch. Seriously, you will make lifelong friends, we promise.
- Talk to everyone! Ask someone you don’t know why they are walking.
- Remember to stretch and hydrate. Then stretch and hydrate some more.
They want you all safe and sound and happy at the end of your 60 miles 😊
That’s in part because they’re always happy when they’re on the 3-Day…and when they’re working together! Gina is the newest addition to the group, and she has provided so much kindness and thoughtfulness to the 3-Day, plus she was Coach Liz’s first 3-Day coach back in 2004. Talk about experience!
And she loves her Dallas/Fort Worth team right back!
“Beautiful, dedicated, passionate, hardworking, to name a few! Gayla, Liz and Eileen are such a blessing to work with, and together, we will rock the 3-Day!”
We will rock the Dallas/Fort Worth 3-Day, and that’s a promise. Rock on, coaches!