New Year’s resolutions have long been a source of both inspiration and frustration for millions of people. You start out strong, pumped up to make positive changes when the calendar turns over to January 1, but if you’re like me, many of those commitments fall by the wayside before you hit Groundhog Day.
But the 3-Day is one thing I come back to without fail, every year, so I know a thing or two about sticking to 3-Day-related resolutions. To help get you motivated to make 2014 “The Year of the 3-Day,” here are some easy goals to set for yourself:
1. Register! – Seems obvious, right? Yes, it may feel scary to commit to such a big challenge, but taking that first step of actually signing up is often the scariest part. It gets better once you’ve jumped in, and January 1 is a beautiful day to jump. Already registered for a 2014 3-Day? Fantastic! Recruit a friend to join you!
2. Drink more water – I know I don’t drink enough water on a daily basis, but I am absolutely diligent about staying hydrated when I’m training and walking the 3-Day. I think the reason for that is that I always have a water bottle within close reach. You can get in the habit of drinking water throughout the day simply by having some handy.
3. Walk more – Yes, 60 miles is a lot of walking, but January is a great time to start small. You don’t have to rush into the big mileages right away. For now, just resolve to walk a little bit more than you currently do. Park a little farther from the entrance, walk the dog around the block one more time, take the stairs instead of the elevator.
4. Get a donation! – So you’re registered, right? Great! New Year’s Day is the perfect time to appeal to the newfound motivation of your donors. They’re eager to start the year on a positive note, so encourage their generosity by asking for a “Hello 2014” donation. Make it a fun challenge on social media by seeing how many of your Facebook friends you can get to make a donation of $20.14 to you – 25 $20.14 donations will get you to your first $500!
5. Okay…breathe – You’ve got a big year ahead of you, and the full-swing 3-Day season (Meetings! Training walks! Fundraising letters!) will be here before you know it. Allow yourself to stop and take those special quiet moments to remember why you walk. Really breathe in every second of this journey.
2014 is going to be amazing, I just know it. What will you resolve to do in the new year?