Many people go into fundraising thinking they know who won’t donate, who will, and how much they will give. But there’s a common experience among 3-Day walkers – the surprise donation! Joan DeFilippo, 3-Day coach and 10-year 3-Day walker and crew member, has been on the lucky receiving end of an unexpected surprise. Here’s what she had to say about it:
- Even experienced fundraisers can face hesitation. “Every year when I write my letter, I take a momentary pause before hitting the ‘send’ button. But I tell myself, ‘If I don’t ask, I won’t get.’”
- “This year, I did something new. I simply put a picture of my 3-Day walking shoes on Facebook, with a caption that asked people to ‘step up and donate.’ Easy enough. What happened next is something I have heard about, but never experienced as a fundraiser.”
- “Within a few minutes of posting, someone I have met just a handful of times reached out and made an offer: Get your donors to step up in the next seven days, and I will match their donations up to $2000. Once I picked myself up off the floor, I knew this was an offer I could not refuse. I got busy!”
- “I posted the challenge on Facebook and within minutes, friends and family began donating. Children donated a dollar. Fellow walkers threw in $5 and $10. A long lost high school acquaintance even gave me $250, which his company will match!”
- “The biggest shock was the donation from a boy I dated at 15 years old! Our ‘relationship’ lasted a total of two weeks and we have not seen each other since, but thanks to Facebook we reconnected. He pledged to donate whatever it took to reach the magic $2000 number. In the end, he and his wife donated $150.”
- People who tell you, “You never know who will donate,” were right. The bottom line is this. Ask everyone!
What was the best surprise donation you ever got? Let us know in the comments below.